Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Stand on RH Bill


“There's no force more powerful than an idea whose time has come, and now the time has come for an RH Law,” Senator Merriam Defensor-Santiago said in her speech as she defends/ explains her answer about the RH Bill.

Indeed the time has come for the Philippines to have a version of a reproductive health bill tailored for the Filipinos and not by whatsoever institution who tries to dictates the government or the people. It is about time to give the Filipino a chance to gain access to the information about sex, of course not information about sexual positions and the like but rather information about how they could take care of themselves. It is time for the Filipinos to gain information about the best method for them to have at least birth spacing, to plan for their family. The bill never said that it favors abortion but rather it favors life by making sure that parents are well informed about the importance of birth spacing or teenagers to be well informed about the disadvantages of pre-marital sex. The bill does not favor death but rather it favors life by giving importance to the life after birth.

The bill is not a solution for poverty and population reduction but rather a chance for everyone to proper education. The bill informs the 6th grader about gender preferences, sexual anatomy, importance and relevance of the human body. It didn't say they would teach the 6th grader the best sex position, or about proper sexual intercourse.

I would rather have the RH Bill passed than seeing people having 8 to 12 children sometimes they even have 15 children and they couldn't even bring their kids to school or buy them at least a decent clothing. I have a lot of this when I am growing up. The time for sex education and family planning is NOW not tomorrow but definitely it should have been strictly implemented yesterday.

I have my own personal views on the RH Bill and I have taken notes of the most common misconception about the Bill. You may or may not agree but these are my opinions.

1. That the RH BILL is designed to attack the Catholic Church.

I was hearing this Congressmen explaining their votes and they keep on repeating an article in the Bill of Rights (see article below) and the bill (RH BILL) is an attack to the Roman Catholic Church.

Section 5. No law shall be made respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. The free exercise and enjoyment of religious profession and worship, without discrimination or preference, shall forever be allowed. No religious test shall be required for the exercise of civil or political rights.

Is the RH Bill really an attack to the Roman Catholic Church? If so, does it also apply to the other Christian denominations in the country and the Muslims too? Philippines have a diverse culture and religions and I personally think that the RH Bill is not meant to attack the moral values of the Filipinos and or the Roman Catholic. For me, maybe the RH BILL was just taken out of context.

2. That RH BILL is pro-abortion

To educate people about the importance of using and choosing the right method is not about killing the unborn it is learning how to prepare the unborn into the life after birth. RH BILL for me is about information and education, about choice and chance, and about family planning. RH BILL is not about killing the unborn. If people think that life begins at sperm ejaculation then most men have committed abortion already (I think you know what I mean hehe) for me I think life begins when the sperm meets the egg cell then the process begins, that for me is the start of life. As long as the sperm never had a chance to have a meet and greet with the egg cell then there’s no life.

3. RH BILL is an Evil Bill

To help improve the lives of people by providing them access to information and health care for me I think is not evil. It is that who executes the said right on a different manner makes it evil. I think it is more evil if we don’t have a law about educating and giving people an access to reproductive health care and campaigning to go ahead and have more children even though you can’t feed and give them proper clothing is evil. In the Philippines there are only few who have the capacity to bring their children to school and have a proper clothing and food. There are even people who can’t afford hospitalizations. One reason, I am seeing here is because their income does not suffice the needs of their children at some point because there are just too many of them.

The idea of RH BILL being an EVIL BILL I think is rooted on the idea that a contraceptive kills the unborn. I think there is no LIFE in sperm just yet because they need to unite with the egg cell in order for the process of forming life to begin.

4. RH BILL promotes promiscuity

Really? I don’t think so. For one, a parent should not mislead their children about their gender. Don’t say flower when it is in fact it should be called vagina or call it bird when it should be called penis. One of the provisions of the RH BILL is for Sex Education to be taught at school. I think in my science classes when I was in grade school parts of the body are already taught at school. I don’t think the Philippines Department of Education would design a curriculum that will promote promiscuity. Also, I think it is best that sex education is taught at home and at school where these children are most comfortable with otherwise these children would search it via the internet where there is no adult supervision worst they might end up practicing and exploring it by themselves elsewhere.

We may have different views about the said bill but for me it is high time to have this bill turns into law and should be strictly implemented and I truly understand the views and opinions of those who go against it because without them the RH BILL would have not been polished and become better than the original version. Without the opposition, I wouldn’t have the interest to at least read the bill and make my own stand about it. May be, yesterday there’s a need for the RH BILL but it wasn’t yet its time to become a law. I go with Senator Merriam Defensor-Santiago when she says that the time has come for the bill to be passed and become a law.

We may have our own views, understanding and interpretation about the bill and I want you to share your own idea by leaving a comment not to promote a war zone but rather for all of us to share our own thoughts about a bill that may have an impact amongst us.

Click here to see the complete version of the bill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment